Note 2017 Changes!!!
ARKANSAS BRED WETHER PROGRAM
The members of the Arkansas Meat Goat Association are sponsoring the Arkansas Born and Bred Wether Program to promote the Arkansas Meat Goat Industry.
Rules for the ArMGA Wether Program
1. Breeders participating in this program MUST be a member in good standing of the Arkansas Meat Goat Association. Breeders participating in the program must nominate their wethers by completing the ABW Breeder Form, listing their scrapies tag numbers, and mailing it to the ArMGA address listed on the form, along with payment for the number of ear tags requested, ($10.00 each if a member by January 1st, $15.00 each if membership is paid after January 1st), plus $10.00 to cover the cost for mailing ABW tags to the breeder. Nominations must be postmarked by June 1st of each year. LATE NOMINATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED! Once the nominations and payments have been processed by ArMGA your ABW tags will be mailed directly to the breeder along with a tagging sheet to record your tagging information. The tagging sheet must be returned to the ABW Tagging Chairman to update within 30 days . The breeder will certify that these wethers meet the requirements of being born and bred in Arkansas. Failure to return the completed tagging sheet or mistakes on the form will make these animals ineligible to participate in the show. It is imperative that breeders check and double check the scrapies tags and ABW tags. ArMGA will not be responsible for errors on the part of the breeder.
2. The purpose of the Arkansas Born and Bred Wether Program is to promote the showing of wethers born and bred by Arkansas producers. Does will not be allowed to participate in the program.
3. Breeders that were a member of the ArMGA by January 1st of that show year will pay a nomination fee of $10.00 per head. If you join ArMGA after January 1st of that show year, you will be charged a nomination fee of $15.00 per head. By filling out the breeders form and paying your nomination fee, you are stating the animal meets all requirements to participate in the ABW program. This form must be completely filled out and must include the scrapie tag numbers. Breeders forms and payment must be postmarked no later than June 1st of that show year.
4. All wethers participating in the program must be tagged within 30 days of receipt of ABW tags by the breeder of that show year. The tagging sheet must be completed and returned to the ABW Tagging Chairman for these animals to be eligible to participate in the show. Wethers must be tagged prior to leaving the farm.
5. July 15th is the ownership deadline for exhibitors.
6. Exhibitors may nominate up to 6 wethers but only show 3 of them. There will be a $25.00 per head fee for each wether nominate. Exhibitors of these wethers will be the only ones allowed to exhibit them at County, District, or State Fairs. Exhibiting them at any other Fair in the name of another individual or family member will make them ineligible to participate in the program.
7. It is recommended that wethers be dehorned but that is not mandatory. However, wethers with horns must be blunt tipped to the size of a dime.
8. The minimum weight is 50 pounds. There is no maximum weight limit. All wethers will be clipped to 3/8 inch or less above the knees prior to official weigh-in. Entries will be examined to assure they have all their baby teeth, and show no symptoms of disease, external parasitism, or active ringworm lesions in accordance with Arkansas Livestock and Poultry Commission requirements. Random drug testing may be performed during the ABW Show! Processing will be done in conjunction with Arkansas State Fair market wether show, however ABW rules will determine eligibility to participate in the Arkansas Meat Goat Association show.
9. There is no minimum age requirement provided exhibitor can show their animal unassisted. The maximum age of exhibitor is 1 year after graduation from High School or equivalent. Unruly animals will be asked to leave the show ring.
10. Official protest of Breeder or Exhibitor’s fraud or misrepresentation shall be submitted to the ArMGA along with a $100.00 fee, in the form of money order or cashier’s check within 24 hours of the alleged incident or conclusion of the show. If the protest is upheld the $100.00 fee will be returned. If the protest is found to be without merit the fee will be retained by ArMGA. Breeders and Exhibitors found to be in violation of IAFE or ABW regulations will be barred from participation in the ABW program for life.
11. Exhibitor’s entry and full payment must be postmarked by September 1st of that show year. LATE ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
12. Membership, Breeder Nomination, and Exhibitor Nomination forms are available at: ww.awrkansasmeatgoatassociation.com. These forms must be printed, completed, and mailed with required fee to: Arkansas Meat Goat Association, c/o Anita Savage, 3815 Bellefonte Road, Harrison, AR 72601
Arkansas Bred Wether program will be monitored by the ArMGA board of directors and ABW Chairman.